Friday, February 03, 2006

CNN.com - Women sue Wal-Mart over contraception - Feb 1, 2006

CNN.com - Women sue Wal-Mart over contraception - Feb 1, 2006

Any thoughts, comments, reactions on this one?

I am a bit livid that ANY store can have the right do such a thing....I know this can be a really controversial subject and feel free to chastise me if I've upset anyone by posting this..but I feel women have the right to make these choices...

Thanks for letting me state my humble opinion

C -

Per a friend's suggestion - I am going to post part of my response to this to give more background (illumination) to why I feel the way I do:

I am passionate because I feel women ARE being victimised by society (and even by other women) on many levels - whether it be at the hands of an abusive relationship, an uncaring non-compassionate medical system/political system, or even on a spiritual/religious level because we now have mores that seem to be being forced down everyone's throats....(again I have to wonder what happened to the separation of church and state in this country)...and because I work for a medical institution and because I myself have been in the situation where I have (had) to choose - I feel very strongly about this issue...

I want to make sure that women keep their rights to make whatever choice is good for them - when I was 18 perhaps that choice was different than now - but I still feel it's vitally important to support our right as humans to choose and not let those rights be either taken away, and/or co-opted for the sake of a political machine - the bottom line is that we remember to support each other no matter what - I don't know what your personal situation might be anymore than you would know mine - but by golly I am going to defend to my last breath your right to make any decision you want to make...

10 comments:

Patia said...

Your opinion is not humble; it is righteous.

Datingmaster, Jerusalem said...

come over -i deal with your issues

Mathias said...

I see what you are saying, but this is a matter of profit rather than a religious or ethical move by WalMart. WalMart doesn't have a soul silly. :)

Colette said...

datingmaster:

uhm yeah OK - whatever you mean by that - is it a threat? Ah well no matter...

Mathias:

I am not sugesting WalMart has a soul - actually they are the poster child for being souless in corporate America - I am suggesting that they have no right to refuse a woman's right to fill a prescription her very *own* doctor decided she could have....

And isn't it odd that more of the women from here didn't speak up? Just curious....

Again my opinion is my opinion - I just want to see WalMart crushed in this lawsuit - wishful thinking on my part I suppose

Francisco Daum said...

Walmart is pioneering the use of RFID chips. It shouldn't be that difficult to keep proper inventory levels of any merchandise. If they were so into family values, they would provide a living wage.

Colette said...

Amen to that Francisco.

Creatrix (aka Jennifer) said...

I commend your passion, Colette, but I am also interested in the underlying victimization this issue holds. Self-acceptance involves coming to terms that we always have the right to choose. It is the fear of consequence/judgment that stops us from making a decision deemed unseemly by others. I believe that is what has gathered us here at EWAG -- to empower each other with acceptance and let go of that overwhelming fear that keeps us from realizing our potential. I smile everytime I think of what an amazing difference that is making just in my life.

Colette said...

Jennifer - I could not agree more with what you said - I am passionate because I feel women ARE being victimised by society (and even by other women) on many levels - whether it be at the hands of an abusive relationship, an uncaring non-compassionate medical system/political system, or even on a spiritual/religious level because we now have mores that seem to be being forced down everyone's throats....(again I have to wonder what happened to the separation of church and state in this country)...and because I work for a medical institution and because I myself have been in the situation where I have to choose - I feel very strongly about this issue...

I want to make sure that women keep their rights to make whatever choice is good for them - when I was 18 perhaps that choice was different thatn now - but I still feel it's vitally important to support our right as humans to choose and not let those rights be either taken away, and/or co-opted for the sake of a political machine - the bottom line is that we remember to support each other no matter what - I don't know what your personal situation might be anymore than you would know mine - but by golly I am going to defend to my last breath your right to make any decision you want to make...

Mightymouse Mommy said...

Found you via your profile from your comment on Stumblingoverchaos - hope you don't mind me stopping in, love the site and concept. That said...

Anyone else notice the headline in the story said "pro-abortion rights groups" rather than "pro choice"?

This mentality, ESPECIALLY in the media, drives me IN-SANE. It's deliberate, it's subtle, and it's manipulative.

The thing I feel most strongly about is that pro-life is a fundamentalist/religious belief and it's being forced upon us even though there's SUPPOSED freedom of religion in this country. And the really scary thing is that I honestly don't feel this really has anything to do with spiritual belief or "religion" at all because to my knowledge no where in the bible does it say to force your views on anyone else. Not to mention that the minister of *my* church founded the Toledo chapter of Planned Parenthood.


JJ

Christina said...

I completely agree with what you have said here! Thanks for visiting my site. Yours is great. I'll be back again!