Saturday, December 31, 2005

Hi from Crafty Chica!

I was so excited to have been invited to post on this blog, and then I got so busy I never wrote anything!

Now on the eve of a new year, I'm doing it! I apologize for the delay. I just want to wish all of you a very happy 2006. My goal this year is just to stop and appreciate more and make the most of my time.

I'm usually juggling three-four things at a time, and because of that I eat badly. Today I announced to my family that I was going to go out for a walk. They all stopped and then laughed, like I was cracking a joke. Mommy leave the art room or computer to go walk? They know I would rather have the stomach flu, a bad haircut and a sour mocha before I'd consider any kind of exercise.

But their their disbelief only juiced up my motivation! I've lost 12 pounds so far and I know I have to move more in order to continue the shrinking process. I'm ready to do that. So within minutes of their heckles, I had my new Special K pedometer on, my sneakers, iPod and... I went for a power walk!!! I'm chubby, this was not easy for me, but I want my body to be as healthy as my mind, so I'm shaving it off a pound at a time.

I chose to walk 3/4 of a mile up the sidewalk to the Dunlap Avenue intersection. 3/4 of a mile is nothing to normal people, for me it may as well have been 3 miles. That was my mental goal. To make it to Dunlap. Every block I passed I wanted to turn around and go back, and then pat myself for going at least that far. But then another little voice (a spirit goddess perhaps?) would tell me, "Just finish!". I went through this Jan Brady-like conversation EVERY block. I noted that it was a good thing I never sent in an app to The Biggest Loser, I would have been booted the first week. The next moment, I looked up and I was a Dunlap Ave.!

There on the corner was a guy in a cell phone suit waving at drivers to stop in the cell phone store on the corner. I waved at him and then marched up to the edge of the sidewalk and stomped on it with my feet, pivoted around and walked back. It was such an empowering moment for me! The journey home was much quicker.

The best feeling was stepping through the front door and having my kids and husband cheer for me. This is such a goofy story, but with only hours away from a new year, I feel like I'm ready to make my way to many more Dunlap Avenue's to come...

Peace, love and glitter to you all!

Kathy
http://www.CraftyChica.com

4 comments:

Blue said...

Congrats, I think like that too... I should walk but I don't... so I think that's wonderful to just go ahead and do it!

And welcome to the group!

Happy New Year

Dana said...

Oh, good for you! This is what I should be doing as well, altho a goal I think I can really achieve is to eat more fruit & vegs. Walking maybe not so much.
Happy 2006...

Creatrix (aka Jennifer) said...

So wonderful to hear from you and sending you positive encouragement!

feminine expressions said...

oh, i enjoyed your story so much and i am incredibly proud of you! what beautiful honesty about wanting to turn back at each step and even planned concessions that turning back would be ok. oh, please keep us posted on how you are doing. i want to keep cheering you all the way!
diana christine