Wednesday, October 19, 2005

goddess with a bump.

I haven't posted in a long while ... even my own blog is feeling neglected these days. I can easily blame it on "my condition." They say that with pregnancy a woman is very likely to feel very, um, spacey, as if simply being pregnant is enough of a distraction.

So, here I am, a goddess with a bump ... a nearly 16 weeks bump which will be a baby in early April. And, here I am, desperately avoiding my worst fear - the mommy haircut (ala Joan Cusack in Raising Helen).

Tonight, I was searching through information on vegetarian pregnancy and was led to a chunk of non-mainstream pregnancy and parenting resources. Thank goodness. While many consider "What to Expect when you're Expecting" the bible of pregnancy books, I find it somewhat rigid at times and am very glad to find resources that are more real and hearty and womanly to guide me along.

Once such resource is HipMama. The site is a collection of articles written by moms who don't necessarily chaffeur a minivan full of children to school, practices, activities, events, etc. etc. And, it's not just about being a mom or being pregnant ... it's also about being a woman and participating in life as a woman.

Maybe you'll enjoy an introduction to the site by reading the interview with Lorig Charkoudian about her heading up a Starbucks nurse-in to advocate breastfeeding in public. It's a good reminder that becoming a mother won't suddenly render me inactive with my opinions. :)

5 comments:

Blue said...

A goddess with a bump... I like that it's a sweet & endearing way of putting it

Oh if you cave on the hair-cut can I be the one to wear the sequined dress?

Good to hear that you are doing well
;)

Creatrix (aka Jennifer) said...

Congrats, Jess. Sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to. If you need any resources or have questions on breastfeeding (bf) let me know. I still maintain a non-profit bf (for 5 years now) site and am friends with a head neonatologist/bf expert. he he...you'd be surprised what even i've learnt in passing.

Susan said...

Such good news and I'm excited to read all about the coming days and months.

Monkey's Human said...

I'm a random visitor here from Spinning Girl's blog. Just wanted to say Yeah for you, finding the resources that fit you. My midwife used to call "What to expect..." the Guide to Pregnancy Through Fear. She wouldn't let us read it.

HipMama is a great site. Enjoy your pregnancy! I loved mine.

funkyjunkie said...

Thank you, ladies. :)

Blue, I hate to admit, but if I blow dry my hair the right way, it starts to look a bit mommy-ish. So, the sequin dress is all yours!

Creatrix, I may have to take you up on that. :)

Thanks, Susan. Appreciate the excitement. :)

Monkey's Human, love your MW's take on WTE. Thanks for the "Yeah for You." :)